Github and enthusiasm

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 21:38:16 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 7 December 2019 at 20:41:37 UTC, JN wrote:
> On the plus side, in few years we should be catching up with
> Ruby.

Is Ruby being swallowed up by Python perhaps?

> Also most work in Rust (unlike say C#) is done in the
> open-source world, so you'll see it reflected in Github stars.

Yes, the absolute values are not very informative, but the change
over time can say something. So we can at least see that there is
some enthusiasm for C#. But not for F#...

> Dart's dramatic rise is interesting. I attribute it to Flutter,
> but it's crazy how much up it went.

Yes, dramatic! Flutter has 10000 forks and is the software
project on github with 2nd most developers on github after vscode
or so. ( 13000 github developers according to
https://octoverse.github.com/ )

> Pascal is interesting, because it has a very dedicated
> community, but they shelter themselves from the outside world
> for the most part.

Yes, it is also interesting because there has been a drop in
number of Pascal contributors:

https://www.openhub.net/languages/compare?language_name%5B%5D=pascal&measure=contributors

So, Pascal probably has a very loyal group of users.