Microsoft Project: Verona

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Dec 8 12:40:44 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 7 December 2019 at 18:23:09 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 December 2019 at 18:11:15 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> If MS actually picks it up more than catering to customers...
>> then maybe it will become another C#... Dunno. I don't think
>> MS will pick it up, as I think they like to be in control.
>
> They are experimenting with it when rewriting one component in
> the windows code base:
>
> https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2019/11/07/using-rust-in-windows/
>
> So, that is a beginning of something, if it works out for them.
> I guess?

As mentioned, Azure IoT and VSCode are already shipping with Rust
code.

If you do any kind of regular expression search on VSCode, that
is powered by ripgrep.

Likewise if you deploy any Azure IoT device into the wild, the
layer that talks between the hardware and .NET layer is powered
by Rust, and the cloud part is powered by Actix.

More significantly, Kenny Kerr, which started the project to
create a UWP projection in standard C++ instead of C++/CX, then
joined Microsoft and ended up leading the effort to C++/WinRT,
now the oficial replacement for C++/CX, has started a similar
project for Rust.

https://kennykerr.ca/2019/11/05/rust/

So yes, this looks like the beginning of something.