Github and enthusiasm

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 16:33:27 UTC 2019

On Monday, 9 December 2019 at 16:05:19 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> Where D comes in is with a good interoperability story for both
> Ruby and Python. If we succeed at that, which we unfortunately
> have not yet done, we benefit from their popularity.

That could happen, my impression from the D community is that
there is one group who are "library developers" and  another
group that want to be "application developers".

Though, the best integration on the horizon is WebAssembly, which
will allow you to write engines (libraries) for any language.

So Sebastiaan Koppe's work on WebAssembly might become
significant. Language contenders with tight codegen, good
debugging support (DWARF) and low memory usage could easily take
off in the next 2-3 years.

Rust and AssemblyScript has a head start though...

Another integration path to watch out for is Dart. Who is now
getting foreign function invocation so that means D could attach
itself to Flutter (GUI for iOS, Android, Desktop and Web) and
benefit from that ecosystem. I think arrays are still missing
though.