[OT] new thing I learned for today

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 15:09:48 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 at 22:24:05 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Please keep comments in this thread focused on the DIP. I've
> got to read through the whole thread for the summary. OT posts
> don't help. I'm going to start deleting OT posts from this
> point forward.

So here is a general response:

1. There is no unity on what to expect from interpolated strings
in the thread. That suggests that a library solution should be
established first using D meta programming capabilities. Only
when there is unity behind a library solution (and it is being
used in practice) should it be considered as a candidate for
syntactic sugar in the compiler.

2. What is missing in terms of metaprogramming capabilities to do
this well as a library solution. That ought to be addressed
before making any extension to the compiler.

3. How does adding non-critical features to the compiler impact
the ability to move forward with critical features such as
improved non-gc memory management. What should the priority of
this feature be related to other more imporant features?

4. How does this feature impact the learnability of the language.
Currently it seams that newbies become confused by language
features (not only in D, but also in Rust and C++), so how can D
improve on that situation? And how can the design of this feature
contribute positively in that regard?