The issue with D...

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Sat Feb 2 12:11:56 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 2 February 2019 at 02:32:28 UTC, Ben wrote:
> Not to be a downer but just trying out D again with Vibe.d and
> getting confronted with the typical bug: Unexpected OPTLINK
> Termination at EIP=0040F60A
>
> Tracing this back, bring up issues in the bugtracker from 2017
> ( 17508 ), that is still open.
>
> First impressions and such matter. And for some reason ever new
> "first impression" with D seems to result in annoying bugs
> being discovered ( Windows 10 ).
>
> Yes, i already know. No Visual Studio linker installed ( and
> no, i do not want a 3GB installation just for the linker, when
> DMD already includes it ). But somebody forgot to tell dub!
>
> So anybody using Vibe.d or any other project that rely on dub
> figuring out that DMD can be run without Visual Studios linker,
> can enjoy very nice and cryptic errors. User friendly it is not.
>
> /Frustrated that this is still a issue.

vibe.d doesn't compile with OPTLINK and it hasn't for years.

Just use the Microsoft linker by passing:

-a=x86_mscoff when building using dub.

Also look forward to the future when you don't need to install
Visual Studio to get the linker as it will ship with DMD (If it
doesn't already? It's been a while since I've checked.)