The issue with D...

JN 666total at wp.pl
Fri Feb 8 12:29:57 UTC 2019

On Friday, 8 February 2019 at 12:09:20 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> I agree. I've already had this discussion about that same http
> stuff being installed by default in Go and Crystal, but not in
> D, despite D already has support by default for json, sqlite,
> etc.
>
> And very honestly, preinstalling dlangui to allow people to
> immediately start developing connected applications (like in
> Python and Red) after the DMD installation could also help D
> become by far the best alternative to both Go and Python.
>
> But I know this won't happen, because D's leadership, instead
> of focusing on D's strengths, tries for a decade to compete
> with C/C++ (low level no-GC languages), and clearly not Go,
> Python, etc (high-level languages for web/gui/scripting).
>
> Just my two cents...

While I agree with you on the silliness in chasing C/C++, I
disagree with the rest. I don't think adding a package is such a
big deal. And you don't have to run dub fetch, dub build/run will
do that for you, and the IDE can handle that too. It's just
people have a fear of dub and try to avoid it in favor of
makefiles whenever possible.

I took a look at the competition. I googled "rust web server" and
got this result:
https://gist.github.com/mjohnsullivan/e5182707caf0a9dbdf2d . To
be honest, the code doesn't look too nice, it's too low-level and
it's not something one would write in a hurry. On the bottom
though is an example using external packages and it looks very
nice. I think things like sockets, xml, json belong to standard
library, because it promotes interoperability (imagine if we
didn't have string in stdlib and everyone would make their custom
string classes, it'd be a mess). Dlangui - no. At most it should
be promoted as a most straighforward way to do GUIs with D. But
even then, I have doubts. I've never used this library, but the
screenshots give me a very non-native GUI feeling. In theory it
looks fine, but it just looks off.