The issue with D...

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:42:18 UTC 2019

On Friday, 8 February 2019 at 12:29:57 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Friday, 8 February 2019 at 12:09:20 UTC, Ecstatic Coder
> wrote:
>> I agree. I've already had this discussion about that same http
>> stuff being installed by default in Go and Crystal, but not in
>> D, despite D already has support by default for json, sqlite,
>> etc.
>>
>> And very honestly, preinstalling dlangui to allow people to
>> immediately start developing connected applications (like in
>> Python and Red) after the DMD installation could also help D
>> become by far the best alternative to both Go and Python.
>>
>> But I know this won't happen, because D's leadership, instead
>> of focusing on D's strengths, tries for a decade to compete
>> with C/C++ (low level no-GC languages), and clearly not Go,
>> Python, etc (high-level languages for web/gui/scripting).
>>
>> Just my two cents...
>
> While I agree with you on the silliness in chasing C/C++, I
> disagree with the rest. I don't think adding a package is such
> a big deal. And you don't have to run dub fetch, dub build/run
> will do that for you, and the IDE can handle that too. It's
> just people have a fear of dub and try to avoid it in favor of
> makefiles whenever possible.
>
> I took a look at the competition. I googled "rust web server"
> and got this result:
> https://gist.github.com/mjohnsullivan/e5182707caf0a9dbdf2d . To
> be honest, the code doesn't look too nice, it's too low-level
> and it's not something one would write in a hurry. On the
> bottom though is an example using external packages and it
> looks very nice. I think things like sockets, xml, json belong
> to standard library, because it promotes interoperability
> (imagine if we didn't have string in stdlib and everyone would
> make their custom string classes, it'd be a mess). Dlangui -
> no. At most it should be promoted as a most straighforward way
> to do GUIs with D. But even then, I have doubts. I've never
> used this library, but the screenshots give me a very
> non-native GUI feeling. In theory it looks fine, but it just
> looks off.

I'm not saying that adding a package is a big deal. I'm a VERY
happy user of Dub.

In just two lines it can create my dlangui project, compile it
and run it.

I'm simply saying that nowadays many languages (Go, Python, etc)
which appear to be more "popular" than D come with preinstalled
web or gui libraries, and that **maybe** this helps them in
convincing people to use them for this kind of development.

Like them, D also has a very extensive standard library, but
doesn't see the interest in having some basic http server classes
provided by default, which I regularly regret.