The issue with D...

JN 666total at wp.pl
Fri Feb 8 21:59:45 UTC 2019

On Friday, 8 February 2019 at 21:42:18 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> I'm simply saying that nowadays many languages (Go, Python,
> etc) which appear to be more "popular" than D come with
> preinstalled web or gui libraries, and that **maybe** this
> helps them in convincing people to use them for this kind of
> development.
>
> Like them, D also has a very extensive standard library, but
> doesn't see the interest in having some basic http server
> classes provided by default, which I regularly regret.

Perhaps. But for example when it comes to GUI, Python only comes
preinstalled with Tk, which isn't exactly the best GUI library
available. Go doesn't come with anything. I think what these
languages do better is messaging on what libraries are available.
Rust notably has the are we X websites:
https://www.arewewebyet.org/ http://areweguiyet.com/
http://arewegameyet.com . In case of Python and Go, there's
usually a one defacto unofficial library for every usecase. With
D it's a bit trickier. Imagine you want to use a XML library.
First try - std.xml. But everyone tells you it sucks and even
documentation says it's not the best. So you try external
packages. You type "xml" in package search. That doesn't work too
good: http://code.dlang.org/search?q=xml . After some more
searching you learn about std-experimental-xml, dxml, kxml.
std-experimental-xml and kxml I don't even know if they work with
recent D versions. dxml seems to work, although I don't know if
it's considered release ready already. Similar story for other
libraries, especially json, or mysql wrappers.

I don't think having all that stuff built-in is an advantage, but
knowing where to look definitely is.