The DIP Process

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 13:59:49 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 11:28:56 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> Again, we're all open to suggestions on how to improve the
> process, so feel free to leave feedback here or email me
> directly.

One thing I should add regarding this bit of the procedure:

"the DIP Manager or the Language Maintainers may allow for
exceptions which waive requirements or responsibilities at their
discretion"

I don't see anything inherently unfair in this. And I think
allowing such flexibility is necessary for a healthy process.
That said, it's not an option intended to be used frequently.

DIP 1010 (static foreach) was fast-tracked through each stage of
the process, but before 1018, no part of the process was skipped
for any DIP.

In this case, Walter and Andrei were both heavily involved in the
drafting of the DIP and in the review of the implementation:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8688

The DIP went through extensive Draft review:

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/129

And as far as I can see there were no major structural
deficiencies identified in the community review:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/eoqddfqbjtgfydajozsn@forum.dlang.org

Given that the purpose of the intermediate review rounds is
intended to improve the odds the DIP will meet the standards of
Walter and Andrei, that both were involved in the development of
the DIP and its implementation, and that they see it as an
important feature that they'd like to ship ASAP, the decision to
skip the Final Review shouldn't be controversial.

All DIPs are subject to that possibility of any part of the
process being skipped or abbreviated, so there's nothing
inherently unfair that it happened here. Especially considering
that Andre and Walter felt the DIP was already at a stage where
they could accept it.

So I won't be removing the quoted line from the procedure
document. What I can do is say that Walter and Andrei have had
enough respect for the process that they have never
demanded/ordered/required me to fast-track or skip a review
round. In this case, they asked me if it was possible to do.
Given the circumstances I've described, I saw no harm in it,
especially given their timeline. If I had recommended we not do
it and provided a rational reason, I'm confident we would have
had a final review round.

Again, this is something that should be rare, but when the
circumstances warrant it, it shouldn't be prohibited.