The DIP Process

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:46:32 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 11:28:56 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Again, we're all open to suggestions on how to improve the
> process, so feel free to leave feedback here or email me
> directly.
>
> Thanks!

I think most points of the DIP process make sense, but it has one
very large problem.  Feedback from language maintainers (Walter
and Andrei) is not done until the end of the process. You're
asking someone to go through a process that can take a year
before the people who have the power to accept or reject the
proposal look at it or leave any feedback.  This is extremely
wasteful of the author's time, the reviewer's time and causes
extreme pressure for everyone involved.  A years worth of
waiting, debate and revision that are now wasted and could have
easily been avoided if language maintainers left their feedback
early on.  Walter and Andrei should be involved in the process
throughout, not just render judgement at the end.

In the years I've been here I have found that feedback from
anyone other than Walter and Andrei has very little bearing on
what Walter and Andrei will think.  The entire community can
think an idea is great, but then Walter or Andrei completely
reject it.  And the opposite is true as well, I've seen W&A
champion an idea that the community generally rejects. Designing
a process to ask many people to create and perfect a proposal for
a year catered to 2 specific people without any feedback from
them is mind-boggling to me.

Based on my observations, my guess is that the DIP process was
designed to alleviate the amount of work needed from Walter and
Andrei, but look what it's produced.

To Walter and Andrei:

The amount of decision-making power you hold needs to be matched
by the amount of involvement you have in the process.  There's no
such thing as a free lunch, you can't just punt the work to
everyone else for so long and then expect everything to work out
great when all that work is completely rejected.  This is a gross
misuse of people's time and a good way to foster a hostile
community. When you leave early feedback, you're likely to trade
a years worth of debate and revision between many people for a
few minutes of your time.

Since you asked for suggestions, here's how I would revise the
process:

Step 1: Research your proposal, search through the forums/DIP
repo/github/Google
Step 2: Create a forum post with your proposal,  Walter or Andrei
is required to either accept or reject whether the proposal
warrants the effort to formalize it.
Step 3: If formalization is accepted, the author does so

We are now at Step 1 of the current DIP process.  I would then
follow the current process as it exists with the modification
that Walter and Andrei be involved throughout.  DIPs should be a
document that contains the research and results of a proposal
that includes feedback from the entire community, including
Walter and Andrei. Seeing it as a document created by the
community to be presented to Walter and Andrei with no feedback
from them results in the problems I discussed above.