The DIP Process

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 00:15:02 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 3:45 PM Donald via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 22:16:09 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > TL;DR, true feedback was that I needed to do one legit
> > self-contained
> > fix to the rewrite syntax to support exceptions (I made a PR
> > for that
> > correction), and a *one word* (a trivial variable name)
> > amendment to
> > have the thing re-read correctly, and I'm not satisfied that I
> > should
> > have to restart the process on that matter.
> > It would take me *seconds* to fix and resubmit, but I'm a salty
> > arsehole, and I'm disenfranchised by the process and stubborn
> > insistence that because I chose a poor variable name that all
> > my work
> > was rubbish and I should start over.
>
> Sorry but I don't buy it. I mean if it would be so simple as you
> say, like in matter of seconds to fix it, why not just do it?

I did, and the amendment was merged, and then it was reverted because
the document was finalised.
I was told to start over, end of story, no more to say.

> So you decided that because the way the process is you shouldn't
> do it?

Yes, I don't want to participate in that machine.
I am a volunteer spending my free time; I don't want to do something
that makes me upset and angry, I would rather do something that makes
me feel good.

> It think that was a huge mistake of your part. You should have
> made all the fixes and proposed it again, just to see the
> aftermath.

I did make the key fix (fix the exception issue), and it was merged,
and then it was reverted.

> Doing this in my opinion would be the way to adjust the process,
> not just give up.

Bear in mind, this period of the process was also loaded with series
of personal insults describing the various ways that I was incompetent
on at least 3 different accounts, which really doesn't help keep a
level head.

Consider DIP 1080:

W&A: this needs work, fix this
W&A: this needs work, fix this
W&A: this needs work, fix this
W&A: this is great, it's pre-accepted

And DIP 1016:

Others: this needs work, fix this
Others: this needs work, fix this
Others: this seems fine
W&A: I'm confused by this word, eject the whole thing into space,
start again, you're an idiot, this is final, come back 1 year!

Like, this meant to be funny, but it's actually accurate.