The DIP Process

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Feb 27 01:12:45 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:53:51 PM MST Nicholas Wilson via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 at 00:44:26 UTC, Jonathan Marler
>
> wrote:
> > You said "but sometimes it's only _because_ of those multiple
> > rounds of feedback and revision that a proposal is clear
> > enough".
> >
> >  Which DIPs are you referring to?  I can't identify any
> >
> > proposal that falls into this case.
>
> FWIW Walter has said that if alias this had been proposed today
> that it would be rejected because it has too many nasty corner
> cases. I happen to believe alias this is awesome but I do see
> where he's coming from and I've been reviewing a lot of Razvan's
> PRs fixing those corner cases so I know they do exist. One of the
> points on the agenda for the DLF meeting at dconf is a review of
> the state of alias this.

It's one of those features that's occasionally useful, but in general, I'm
inclined to think that it causes way more trouble than it's worth. Honestly,
implicit conversions in general tend to be problematic much as they can be
really nice to have sometimes. They're particularly bad when templates get
involved.

- Jonathan M Davis