The DIP Process

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Feb 27 23:13:47 UTC 2019

On 02/26/2019 11:46 PM, NaN wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 18:22:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 2/26/19 12:46 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure how we can improve this from the top,
>
> You can require the same accuracy and rigour from the review as you do
> from the DIP. Unless you think that yourself and Walter are infallible
> then the review process is fundamentally flawed. Dip in, one guy
> reviews, result out, decision final will result in flawed reviews and
> disillusioned contributors.

Thanks for writing. We are not able, and should not aspire, to provide a
review at the same level of accuracy as the DIP. The onus to convince is
squarely on the DIP. This is in keeping for all related review processes
I know of.

However, this is good pressure for us to produce good DIPs, together
with all other proposers.

I understand rejection of a DIP creates frustration, but at a level it
needs to be understood by the community that it is a normal and expected
part of the process. The cure is improving the quality of DIPs. The main
liability in accepting a DIP that is not suitable is it creates
precedent for other unsuitable DIP to get in, in a descending spiral of
quality.