Modern C++ Lamentations

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 22:33:57 UTC 2019

On Friday, 4 January 2019 at 16:28:32 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 12:54:12 +0000, Rubn wrote:
>> Here we go again. Really? You don't think there is any reason
>> to using shared libraries in anything other than plugins? You
>> then go on to list two other valid reasons in your next run on
>> sentence. I'll add some more to your list
>
> I'll give another: linking times. With GTKD, static linking
> costs something like 6-10 seconds more than dynamic linking,
> which is huge.

And to add to this. *ANY* large project benefits from reducing to
smaller DLLs and a corresponding static .lib to load them.

The MSVC team has come around in the last five years to love game
developers specifically because we create massive codebases that
tax the compiler. Remember how I said our binary sizes were
something up near 100MB on Quantum Break during one of my DConf
talks? Good luck linking that in one hit.