DIP 1017--Add Bottom Type--Final Review

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:18:23 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 at 06:43:59 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> > "Never" makes a lot more sense.
>
> Inventing new jargon for established terms is worse.
> Established jargon gives the reader a certain level of
> confidence when established terms are used correctly in that
> the reader understands the text and that the writer understands
> the text.
>
> The "Bottom" type appears in books on type theory, like "Types
> and Programming Languages" by Pierce. "Never" does not, leaving
> the reader wondering what relation it might have to a bottom
> type.

Since Rust already uses `never`, it won't be inventing new
jargon. We can choose either of these two based on our taste.

But also, your DIP needn't make that choice. Since the type is
defined with `typeof` instead of it's own keyword, anyone can
alias the type however he wants. The terminology can be left to
evolve naturally, without needing to dictate a term for the type.