Why is vibe.d still performing bad in benchmarks?

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Thu Jul 11 13:09:48 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 11 July 2019 at 11:23:42 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Am 10.07.2019 um 21:16 schrieb bauss:
>> As seen in:
>> https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r18
>>
>> vibe.d once again ranks terrible on the list.
>>
>> With the power of D etc. it should be able to perform at the
>> same level as the top frameworks but it just isn't so what are
>> the reasons, where can it be improved and what areas do we as
>> community need to look into and improve upon?
>
> The problem is that for some reason it doesn't scale properly
> with the number of cores in that benchmark. I have a dual-Xeon
> server that I can in theory use for profiling this, but I
> simply still lack the time to do so.
>
> If you or anyone else who is interested has a bit of time to
> spare, I would suggest to change the benchmark setup to start
> one process per core instead of using multiple threads. This is
> the preferred approach anyway, for multiple reasons, but one of
> them being that it ensures proper scaling, no matter if the GC
> kicks in, or some other kind of lock contention happens.
>
> This would require a change to the startup script to run
> multiple instances, as well as removing the runTaskDist call,
> while keeping HTTPServerOption.reusePort.

Thank you for the insight! And of course thank you for vibe.d
overall!

That was the kind of respond I was looking for, like some area to
explore and if I find time myself I will check it out and see
what I can work out.

Kind of on a limited time-basis right now but any spare time I
might find in the next two weeks I will see if I can benchmark
and figure out some things as well.