Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jul 19 22:12:17 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 09:57:01PM +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 19 July 2019 at 21:03:50 UTC, XavierAP wrote:
>
> > After claiming that C++ is insalvageable we now see that the Devil
> > is in the details, and it isn't so easy to keep a language clean
> > over the years and over the features.
>
> It's a simple, solved problem. The D leadership made a decision that,
> for better or worse, breaking changes were (approximately) no longer
> acceptable.  Keeping a language clean means you need a high standard
> to add features to the language and a higher standard to leave them
> in/not change them once you've had experience with them. Everyone
> complains about autodecoding, for instance, but it's by choice that it
> stays. There's nothing mysterious about how it can be fixed, you just
> make a decision to break existing code. {And just to be clear, I'm not
> saying the wrong choice was made, only that it would be trivial keep
> the language clean if that was the goal, and it would be called D3.}

To be honest, while I understand W&A's stance of wanting to stabilize
the language and thereby (hopefully) drive adoption, IMO things would be
better served if we started working towards D3.

One Word to write them all, One Access to find them, One Excel to count them all, And thus to Windows bind them. -- Mike Champion