Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 13:18:29 UTC 2019

On Monday, 22 July 2019 at 01:31:17 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/21/2019 11:46 AM, aliak wrote:
>> A bug in Nullable cause of us to swear off working on the D
>> version - but the same person got defeated by the Rust borrow
>> checker but that for some reason did not make him swear it off.
>

> I'm not surprised. I see this all the time. It's the "social
> proof" thing at work.

I think we can get some social proof, it requires continuing:
- emphasizing commercial success ($$$$$), big businesses over
smaller ones.

- replacing (in volume) talk that excuse D for its choices(GC,
supposedly "wrong" default that are actually the right ones...)
with a discourse that talks about positives. This is a big one,
you can see it all the time: if your release notes detail all the
bug that were fixed, the overall impression is that "wow, there
are many bugs".

- phasing out "D-man", or invest in making it more like a winning
mascot

In literatture about "diffusion of innovations", it's pretty
clear who brings the new technology matters quite a bit more than
adequacy.

Social proof doesn't _have to_ work against us.

"D is ancient and has 'worked out' " => "D is stable and has a
growing amount of companies using it for beating the
expectations" (which is true btw)

In my view, people using unproductive languages (you know what
they are) are "loosers", it shouldn't be us that pass as loosers.