There's a problem in the D economic system

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Jul 24 11:05:33 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 24 July 2019 at 10:49:24 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 July 2019 at 10:34:57 UTC, Chris wrote:
>

>> And knowing all this, it never occurred to anyone to set up a
>> sound and transparent payment system? It wasn't until a
>> company approached you that you figured out that it might be a
>> good idea?
>
> I don't know what you're going on about. The D Foundation has
> been paying people through multiple methods for a while now,
> using whatever transfer system charges the smallest amount of
> fees in the recipient's country. We don't need a bounty system
> to pay people. The bounty system is just to track how much
> money is associated with a specific issue.
>
> Again, no one was taking advantage of the old system. Click on
> that bounty source link earlier in the thread and see how old
> many of those issues are. When fundraising options first fell
> on my plate, I didn't consider a new bounty system a priority
> because the old one never met its potential and there was never
> a clamour from the community for a new one. But if a company is
> willing to throw money at bugzilla issues, of course we're
> going to facilitate it. And rather than limit it to just that
> company, we're setting up a new system to let everyone
> participate.
>
> If you think I screwed up by not starting a bounty system
> sooner, that's fine. But at least get your criticism on target.

First, I don't think you "screwed up" personally. It's a
structural issue within the DLF. Someone sets up a bounty system
that is not used, because people don't really know about it. I
couldn't find a prominent link to it on dlang.org. Is there one?
If yes, my bad that I didn't spot it. But then again, only
because a thing is badly implemented that doesn't mean it's a bad
idea as such. And apparently the DLF didn't care much either.
Second, I didn't talk about a bounty system specifically but
about a standardized transparent system that handles all
transactions, so you can transfer money for bug fixes etc. with a
mouse click and your a**e is covered at the same time. Third, I
think it's not easy for you, because I believe that a lot of
stuff is just dumped on you by the DLF.