Minimal druntime?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Jul 28 07:32:37 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 27 July 2019 at 14:20:52 UTC, Ethan wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 July 2019 at 13:11:23 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> It sounds to me like what you want is -betterC.
>
> It's kind of not though.
>
> I don't want a subset of D, I want DMD to not inject things in
> to my library that I just plain won't use.
>
> I'd already considered -betterC, and immediately decided it was
> going to be too much hassle after writing one line and finding
> out the compiler doesn't agree with my coding style. The code
> is going to compile with and without -betterC, which itself is
> a massive undertaking at this point.
>
> I've got a related point about the Unity guys writing High
> Performance C#. If C# is so good, why do you need a subset of
> it? This exact argument is what I have about -betterC. If D is
> so good, why do I need a subset of it?

For the same reason that C++ needs a C like subset when you want
to extract the ultimate performance out of it.

Magical compiler optimizers able to generate the perfect Assembly
and cache usage no matter what comes to the mind of the lazy
developer are still a dream pipe.

Any programming language that cares about performance needs a
performance oriented subset, for the use cases when the high
level constructors don't deliver the desired performance and the
optimizer just throws its hands up in the air.