Minimal druntime?

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 11:07:51 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 at 07:32:37 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> For the same reason that C++ needs a C like subset when you
> want to extract the ultimate performance out of it.

...are you talking about extern "C" there? Because that's not at
all how extern "C" works in a C++ compiler.

I mean, your point in relation to High Performance C# is valid,
it's literally "C#, but everything that touches the garbage
collector has been removed". And their rationale for doing HPC#
was more to do with making sure engine logic and user-facing
logic was written in the same language.

But it's also not really valid in relation to -betterC, which -
as has been mentioned a few times in this thread - is more of a
stand-in for "pay what you use of the D runtime" in lieu of DMD
actually being able to do that. You don't need -betterC to @nogc
and do completely manual memory management for example.