Could D have fit Microsoft's needs?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 17:08:15 UTC 2019

On Monday, 29 July 2019 at 13:56:49 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 July 2019 at 21:23:20 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> Sounds more like they are playing a game of internal politics.
>>  If demand for a feature increases it is more likely to land
>> in tooling...
>
> That's how I read it too.
>
> I just wonder, if this will really work in the real world:
>
> 'According to an internal survey, the top reason for adoption
> was “correctness” – an extension of Rust’s safety guarantees
> that work towards making true the adage “if it compiles, then
> it works”.' [1]
>
> After all, it's MS ;)

Hm, yes... no, it won't work throughout the organization, but
they do have a focus on "correctness" at Microsoft research, so I
guess they have some kind of long term vision for where they want
to go. Or maybe not. Who knows. Anyway, Rust does not bring
"correctness", so that quote only makes it sound more political
to me...