[GSoC] 'Independency of D from the C Standard Library' progress and update thread

Stefanos Baziotis sdi1600105 at di.uoa.gr
Tue Jun 4 02:17:00 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 4 June 2019 at 01:32:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/3/19 9:11 PM, Mike Franklin wrote:
>> Yes, the motivation could be improved, but the time for
>> motivating this project was 2 months ago, not now.
>
> Mike, you must understand this is a terrible argument. It
> should never be made again. It is in fact the only part about
> your response that makes me genuinely worried. Benchmarks look
> good.
>
> This is not a pregnancy. Any time is good for asking about the
> motivation, and the difference 2 months make goes in favor of
> the student and mentor is that the answers to questions about
> the motivation are only stronger, clearer, and more convincing.

I agree that a good time to ask is simply always. And that we
should
always argue if something doesn't seem right. But it's true
that this was to be decided months ago.

Moreover, for me it's important to consider the other side, and I
think that's what Mike meant.
Imagine that you're a GSoC student and you open the forum, 4
a.m.: "Aah... Here's a 1-page post about what you might be doing
wrong with your project, already 1+ month working on it. Have a
good night.." :p
This is a personal opinion, but to me: Of course contradict the
bad, but also help / motivate the good.
These people (meaning any mentors and any GSoC student) chances
are they're doing
_something_ beneficial. For example..

> Benchmarks look good.

They're better now. ;)