Very limited shared promotion

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 14:09:17 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 11:27 PM matheus via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 21 June 2019 at 12:07:06 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > Novices don't write threading libraries. They tend to be very
> > small in
> > surface area, and written once. It'll be fine, and it gives us
> > the
> > control we need.
> > Anything more from the language at this very early stage is an
> > over-reach.
>
> Sorry but I don't think this is true, or at least need some
> facts/numbers.
>
> I've seen "novices" or different type of people doing things that
> they shouldn't. For example, in the last 2 places that I worked,
> I saw management put developers (Like Desktop) without any
> experience in web to write Web APIs and the result was terrible,
> but they need to do otherwise they would be fired.
>
> So just say novices barely it's to shallow.
>
> By the way even experienced programmers can commit mistakes, and
> they way you talk you assume they not, and bugs are out there in
> most software and even from big companies.

1. This discussion only applies when writing @system code; I think
it's assumed that you take responsibility for your mistakes, no?
2. I'm not against @safe improvements, I just think that's VERY hard
to design, and we should have a useful low-level core in the language
before spending years arguing about some semantics for @safe
interactions (which I'm not sure exist; I think they are libraries).