[OT] Unity's HPC#

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 18:11:29 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 1:10 AM JN via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 1 March 2019 at 06:54:07 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> (Abscissa) wrote:
> > But OTOH, I feel the focus on pragmatism and common sense has
> > been thrown straight out the window for the past many years,
> > and its already accelerating down the same paths that led C++
> > to become the mess that it is today. I feel like D's
> > obsessively doing *exactly* what Scott Meyers warned us
> > against, in stark contrast to the early principles that made D
> > worthwhile in the first place.
>
> C++ seems like a super complicated language to interop with.
> Perhaps it will never be possible to do it right. We already
> added copy constructors, what if we keep adding C++ features in
> the name of interop. I hope in the end D doesn't become a mere
> imitation of C++, with 10% of it's ecosystem.

We didn't add copy ctors in the name of C++ interop, we added it in
the name of "postblit was broken".
D has gaps, and you can usually get by if you squint and look the
other way, but there's things that really need to be fixed, like the
copy semantics.

There have been no compromises to language that I know if in the name
of C++ interop. No effect other than an extern statement.