[gsoc] DUB - Ideas

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Mar 2 18:22:01 UTC 2019

On 3/1/19 1:13 PM, Dennis wrote:
> On Friday, 1 March 2019 at 17:22:47 UTC, JN wrote:
>> It's obvious no one will win the SDL vs JSON debate. The only solution
>> is to dump both and switch to YAML :)
>
> Believe it or not, there is a proposal for a third format (the 'tree'
> format).
> https://github.com/dlang/dub/wiki/DEP7

Not that I think there's even a slightest chance DUB will ever gain
another format, but that page contains some questionable claims about
SDL, and at least one claim that's just downright false:

It says:
----------------------------------
[Tree's] Comparison to SDL:
     Easy fast syntax
     Syntax highlighting in few editors (Idea, VSCode, Atom, SynWrite)
     More implementations (D,TS/JS)
----------------------------------

The third claim is flat out wrong. SDL has implementations for D, Java,
Python and Ruby (that I know of). In fact. the D implementation is the
youngest of those four. (Sometimes I get the impression that people
think I created SDLang, and did so for D, despite my attempts to dispel
that notion. I was looking for a sane alternative to XML/JSON/YAML,
found SDL, and wanted to use it in D. Just like how I once looked for a
sane alternative to C++ and Java2/4, and found D.)

The second claim is tenuous at best: Even without a dedicated "SDLang
highlighter", I can go right through my editor's list of supported
highlighters and most of them do an entirely useable job highlighting
SDLang. It's not exactly a complicated language: It's basically just
custom identifiers and a few literals and grouping symbols. Just like
JSON/etc, there's just not much semantic or syntactic detail there TO
highlight.

The first one is a highly subjective matter of opinion. SDL and Tree
(based on what I can tell from the example provided) *both* have very
simple easy syntaxes that put XML, JSON and YAML to shame. Comparing the
two directly against each other, well, they're pretty much on par with
each other in this regard, any advantage to be had is slight at best.

Someone else mentioned TOML, too. Just looked it up. That's also a very
nice data language too, just like Tree and SDLang are. Hell, there's so
much out there that just puts the XML/JSON/YAML popular kids clique to
shame. I find it absolutely disgusting, shameful and frankly,
professionally negligent, that a *technical* field such as ours
routinely prioritizes and even promotes following the cool kids' table
over actual, freaking technical merit.