[gsoc] DUB - Ideas

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 12:01:46 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 at 18:22:01 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> Someone else mentioned TOML, too. Just looked it up. That's
> also a very nice data language too, just like Tree and SDLang
> are. Hell, there's so much out there that just puts the
> XML/JSON/YAML popular kids clique to shame. I find it
> absolutely disgusting, shameful and frankly, professionally
> negligent, that a *technical* field such as ours routinely
> prioritizes and even promotes following the cool kids' table
> over actual, freaking technical merit.

Well, to me the ONLY reasons DUB use SDLang and cargo use TOML is
obviously... to make things as different as possible! It's just
trying to be different for being different's sake.

Sociology explains this way more than any technical merit, we are
prone to this in the D community because well it's an alternative
language, it selects for people who likes alternatives.

This is the elephant in the room, why else would we argue (with
so much passion) the technical merit of 20-lines recipe files?

And TOML is really tragic, I don't know if you have tried using
it, I have and reverted to XML.