[gsoc] DUB - Ideas

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Mon Mar 4 14:04:41 UTC 2019

On Monday, 4 March 2019 at 13:52:03 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
wrote:

> The question is why you want a public DUB package to rely on
> submodules for parts of its code.  What's the use-case?  You
> still haven't described it.

You fix a bug in let's say Vibe.d (or any other library for that
matter). You don't want to wait 6 months until your bug fix gets
merged and released (if ever). I have run into this many many
times.
In some cases I had to result to registering a duplicate repo on
the registry as there was a breaking change in DMD and I (and the
users of a depending library) wanted to continue using it.
Note that this shortcoming of dub was also the main reason why
Dlang Community has been created.