A bank for the wealth of D

JN 666total at wp.pl
Wed Mar 13 11:30:50 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 at 11:04:07 UTC, Greatsam4sure wrote:
> I have discovered D for almost two years now. My general option
> is that D is an excellent language. It is a language design for
> a programmer that focus on reality and provide the programmer
> with a wealth of tools the programmer need to succeed within a
> short time.
>
> I will be happy if the D community can come out with a plan to
> write an extensive tutorial on all aspect of D covering all
> modules in the standard library and valuable third-party
> libraries such as GTKD, dlangui, vibe-D etc. Contribution can
> be made for people who are willing to undertake such a task.
> The tutorial should also cover D tools in details and their
> uses in different Os
> The result is that newcomers can easily grap the concepts of D
> and use it in production which in turn we increase the adoption
> of D giving that we have a vibrate community already

This is what it comes down to. The 'community'. Most people work
on D for free, and like with everything in life, you get what you
pay for. It is unreasonable to expect a language mostly built by
volunteers and donations has the same support and help resources
as big, established platforms supported by big international
corporations.

> The community will have to put energy together to make a pro D
> plugin for IntelliJ, eclipse at least. I Know such plugin exist
> but they are not really working well. Today on window only
> serve-d and code-d and visual-D are reliable

Sounds like duplication of effort. Most effort should probably go
to projects like language servers, because the results can be
easily reused for other platforms. Also, define "pro D plugin". D
language design mostly disallows the kind of IDE support like
you'd have for Java or C# (how do you rename a variable, if this
variable doesn't exist until compile time, or it's name is
stitched together with mixins).