GSoC idea for interprocess library in D

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Fri Mar 22 11:44:12 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 at 02:20:39 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to propose the idea to develop an interprocess
> library similar to Boost::Interprocess in C++
> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_63_0/doc/html/interprocess.html
>
> Boost::Interprocess is a very powerful and feature rich library
> for developing cross platform server and desktop apps.
>
> Boost.Interprocess offers:
> 1. shm based queues without relying on the kernel for data
> transfer. This is a huge win for low latency apps in the order
> of micro seconds)
>
> 2. shm based object allocation, construction and destruction.
>
> Etc
>
> Is there an equivalent library in the D ecosystem? What do you
> people think about the idea?
>
> Arun

I like the idea, although from my own experience IPC is quite
easy, the real stuff is more the communication process, i.e the
protocol, which seems to be message loop for you. I had worked a
bit on the easy part [1] and you can count on my help if your
submission is accepted, although I say it clearly **this is not a
proposal for mentorship**.

[1] : https://github.com/Basile-z/iz/blob/master/import/iz/ipc.d