DIP1000 finds stack corruption bug in std.socket

bitwise bitwise.pvt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 16:32:00 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 at 10:00:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> As of today I finally got all of Phobos to compile with
> DIP1000. The remaining issue is that things sometimes get
> mangled differently with DIP1000 than without, leading to
> linking errors.
>
> But it's working with all compiled with -dip1000.

Just out of curiosity - did that involve removing all instances
of the 'in' type qualifier?

I guess I'm still holding out hope that it will be rebranded as
the counterpart of 'out', as a by-ref, in-only, parameter type
that accepts rvalues ;)

It's disappointing to hear the current plans for scope are so
limited. I originally thought that scope would be a general type
qualifier which restricted anything it was applied to from being
copied out of it's current scope.

I was hoping to be able to apply scope to range objects returned
from containers so they couldn't leave the scope of where they
were retrieved. I also saw that Atila used scope on a postblit,
which also seems like something that should keep the range from
leaving the scope where it was retrieved. If I understand
correctly though, neither of these uses is officially supported
or planned right now - is that correct?

Thanks,
     Bit