Generality creep

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 28 19:09:53 UTC 2019

On 3/28/19 2:56 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 02:30:24PM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> We've been worrying too much about changing things.
>
> Wow.  That's a pretty drastic (and refreshing!) change of stance from
> the past years of insisting that we should do our utmost to maintain
> backward compatibility.  I, for one, welcome this change.

Thanks. The irony of it all is that adding new stuff and leaving the old
stuff in maintenance mode is simultaneously the rock-solid compatibility
stance and the ultimate road to progress.

It does happen, and has happened several times in my lifetime, that an
entire community is missing an important point. It seems we missed the
point that change is not what we need... it's addition.