Any estimates on having exceptions in betterC?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri May 3 15:09:34 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 01:30:01PM +0000, Mike Franklin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> The 2nd task that I think is important right now is to make a
> dependency-less utility library.  I have never discussed this with
> anyone except on the forum, so I don't know what Andrei or anyone else
> thinks of it.  I wish I had more of an opportunity to discuss things
> like this on a regular basis with other D developers, but I don't know
> how to facilitate that.

Have the forums become so toxic that we can no longer use them for what
they're supposed to be used for -- to discuss exactly these sorts of
things??

> You can get a basic understanding of what needs to be done by looking
> at the following module pairs:
> std.traits  core.internal.traits
> std.conv    core.internal.convert
> std.utf     core.internal.utf
> {... there are others ...}
> Next, see this discussion (https://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.6241.1546722791.29801.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com)
> about creating a `core.traits` module to get a better perspective.
>
> Do you see the redundancy?
[...]

Didn't Andrei say recently that these two should be merged into one?
The Phobos/druntime divide is an artifact of the historical Phobos vs.
Tango spat, and really shouldn't be that way.  Phobos should be made
(much, much) more pay-as-you-go, and druntime should be a subset of it,
not a separate thing from which it's taboo to import Phobos.

Why have vacation when you can work?? -- EC