Any estimates on having exceptions in betterC?

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 16:01:57 UTC 2019

On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 15:09:34 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Have the forums become so toxic that we can no longer use them
> for what they're supposed to be used for -- to discuss exactly
> these sorts of things??

Sorry if that came across the wrong way.  What I meant is that I
find it difficult and sluggish to do much productive
back-and-forth on the forums. What I really need is to be able to
quickly bounce ideas back and forth with like-minding, interested
participants, and eventually arrive at a common understanding.  I
find that difficult on the forums.  Chatting is better, and
verbal communication is even better.  I don't find the forums
toxic, I just haven't found a way to utilize the forums to bring
together common interests and arrive at a common understanding.
I'm ready to engage any one who's willing.

> Didn't Andrei say recently that these two should be merged into
> one? The Phobos/druntime divide is an artifact of the
> historical Phobos vs. Tango spat, and really shouldn't be that
> way.  Phobos should be made (much, much) more pay-as-you-go,
> and druntime should be a subset of it, not a separate thing
> from which it's taboo to import Phobos.

Yes, I think that's an accurate interpretation.  I'll paraphrase
further by saying users would essentially `import` the language
features they want or need.  Or, they would opt-in to a language
feature simply by choosing to use it.

DRuntime and Phobos is currently a big pot of spaghetti with each
noodle being one of language implementation, compiler intrinsics,
common utilities, garbage collection, thread-local storage,
threads, fibers, stack unwinding, debug symbols, algorithms,
ranges, C standard library bindings, OS bindings, C++ standard
library bindings (unfortunately), and much more.  To achieve the
opt-in continuum Andrei mentioned, I believe we need more
modularity and less coupling.  The first step towards that, IMO,
is to create a utility library that has no dependencies
whatsoever.  All other libraries, language implementations, and
even the compiler itself could then begin their implementations
by importing that fundamental utility library.  Of course, you
wouldn't have to import it if you didn't want to, but it would be
highly productive and idiomatic-D to do so.

Mike