GCC with D have been finally been released.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri May 3 17:48:16 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 05:12:07PM +0000, Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Am Fri, 03 May 2019 10:03:47 -0700 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
[...]
> > But... 2.076... is ancient. :-/  That's like *8* releases behind
> > dmd/ldc.  I wish gdc were more up-to-date.  But I understand that
> > Iain is constrained by the GCC release schedule.
[...]
> Well, you should use gcc trunk then ;-)

I suppose I could, yes.  But I balk at the prospect of building gcc
myself.  Unlike the ease of building dmd, building gcc is something that
makes me tremble with fear lest the delicate build infrastructure
collapses upon me.  I'm not (yet) desperate enough to do it, in spite of
having done it before.

> belka just wrote this in the GDC slack channel:
> > GDC with D v2.086.0-rc.1 passes the original testsuite now (from
> > 2.083).
>
> We'll merge this to gcc trunk shortly after the 2.086 test suite
> passes and GCC 10 stage 1 development opens (or has it already opened?
> I'm not sure).

Wonderful news!

> There's only one reason GCC 9 ships 2.076: We need one GCC/GDC release
> which builds without any D compiler, i.e. which still uses the C++
> frontend. There's no newer C++ frontend available, so 2.076 (+ many
> backports, see dmd-cxx branches in the dlang dmd/druntime/phobos
> branches) was the latest version we could ship.
[...]

Ahhh, so *that's* the reason.  Makes sense.  We need GCC 9 with a C++
frontend so that we can bootstrap a self-hosting D compiler in later
releases.  Understood. Thanks for the clarification!

IBM = I'll Buy Microsoft!