[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 01:35:00 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 5 May 2019 at 23:32:46 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa)
wrote:

> Would Mint fit the bill here? It's been quite awhile since I've
> paid any attention to Mint, so I'm kinda out-of-the-loop on
> that one. But I know it's always intended to be non-expert
> friendly.

(Don't take my words as Linux expert, as I am not, my use case is
just do Linux builds and tests)

If you are after such experiments on your poor old granny then
just pick Ubuntu.
Mint is ubuntu anyway, but stability & quality... man this is
something, they have their fancy desktop directly using python
from package manager as dependency, I mean they literally put
their modules inside that installation, guess what? when you
update symlink for newer python version the whole thing collapses
ahahaha... literally, no desktop, *poof*...
if you are lucky you may have terminal shortcut on desktop, or
other program such as VS Code or IDEA that has terminal so you
can restore symlink.
And that's just one thing, imagine what else they could have
possibly messed up.

Really, their prime product (which is desktop environment) relies
on mere fact you won't upgrade python interpreter. They failed to
manage software dependencies and packaging what I say.