[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 8 18:20:23 UTC 2019

> The amount of time that Windows takes to update - both with fetching the
> updates and with installing them - is insane. And it seems to happen far too
> frequently that windows update just gets stuck and never finishes.
> Regardless of the timing or whether they're forced, the actual update
> process for Windows is absolutely terrible. I've seen updates take several
> minutes on *nix systems, but unless you're installing a ton of packages,
> it's usually pretty quick - and most distros that I've used don't even grab
> anything in the background. It's _never_ quick with Windows. Even whatever
> they do when you reboot during the update process takes a ridiculous amount
> of time. However they've set up the whole mess, they clearly have
> fundamental problems with how windows update does pretty much anything that
> it does.

Yup. And on Win10, I've found that even the background-downloading
process (I *think* that's what it was, IIRC...), despite being a
background process, would consistently slow the entire computer down to
the point of being completely unusable (We're talking, like full minutes
for a single click or drag interaction.) And being windows, AFAIK,
there's no Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get over to a text terminal and sidestep the
desktop's slowdown.

It's a shame, really. I actually used to be really huge on Windows. XP
was really quite good in its day for the most part (once you disabled
big blue playskool mode). The Linux of the same period was quite a pain,
as this was before things like apt and automatic package dependency
management. And, maybe it was just me, but X would constantly just
suddenly decide on a whim it didn't want to boot anymore until being
reinstalled. I'm SO glad Linux has improved as much as it has since then.