[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri May 10 03:42:21 UTC 2019

On 5/9/19 11:21 PM, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
> On 5/9/19 4:48 PM, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>>
>> The only way I can explain this is so called UI experts are not
>> committed to serving the user. Perhaps the UI folk are actually normal
>> but they under tremendous pressure by other parts of the company.
>>
>> Nick mentioned RokuTV. I cannot believe that Roku even took off as a
>> product with the responsiveness that it had. The version that we have
>> today is barely bearable. And it cannot be the hardware because I
>> don't think there is hardware that slow today.
>
> There wasn't hardware that slow 25 years ago.
>
>> I think they send every single click over the network.
>
> Oh my dear god, I think you may actually be right about that! It would
> explain so much...

Come to think of it, back when I "cut the cable" as they say now and
ditched cable TV, one of the key reasons I ditched was because after the
set-top's latest major update, things as simple as *changing the
channel* would frequently involve...I shit you not...MORE than a full
minute(!!) of delay.

After several months of that complete and utter garbage, we even
complained, had a technician sent out, the technician replaced some
wiring a squirrel had allegedly chewed through, replaced the set-top box
itself, aaannddd....*ZERO* change. So we told Time Warner (now more
appropriately rebranded as Speculum) we were done.

So maybe *that's* why Roku managed to take off despite its clear
ineptitude: At least Roku's UI lag is on the order of seconds instead of
(literally) minutes!