[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri May 10 03:21:36 UTC 2019

On 5/9/19 4:48 PM, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 05/06/2019 05:15 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
>  > I mean, with all the talk about user-friendly UI's
>
> The only way I can explain this is so called UI experts are not
> committed to serving the user. Perhaps the UI folk are actually normal
> but they under tremendous pressure by other parts of the company.
>
> Nick mentioned RokuTV. I cannot believe that Roku even took off as a
> product with the responsiveness that it had. The version that we have
> today is barely bearable. And it cannot be the hardware because I don't
> think there is hardware that slow today.

There wasn't hardware that slow 25 years ago.

> I think they send every single
> click over the network.

Oh my dear god, I think you may actually be right about that! It would
explain so much...

> It's laughable. And they imitate responsiveness
> by making a "click" sound that comes a second after you click the
> button. Ha ha! :p

Yup.

But one thing about your comments is disconcerting: This particular TV
in question, AIUI, I based on Roku 2. And supposedly, Roku 3+ fixed the
responsiveness issue. Is that really not the case? If so, that's even
more pathetic than I thought.

The part that *REALLY* gets to me, maybe even more than anything else,
is that given full access to all internal documentation and tools, *I*,
just by my singular little old lonesome, could do a FAAARRR better job.
But like Megadeth pointed out years ago: "...But who's buying?"

>  > *somebody* on the Windows team
>  > should have stepped back, realized what an insane nightmare of a user
>  > experience this kind of behaviour is
>
> My dad's new laptop has Windows 10 in it. The unfortunate result is that
> he simply does not (more like cannot) use it anymore. While he is doing
> something else on the interface, a window pops up at the right-hand
> corner. He doesn't even see it. He is expected to click it? Sometimes
> some thin banner appears under the menu bar of some applications,
> warning him about something. He doesn't even *see* it with all the
> jumble of stuff on the screen. Mind boggling so much so that I don't
> think UX people are people at all. (I thought I would feel better; but
> it's getting worse; but thank for letting me write these. :) )

"We keep making it more idiot-proof, but they keep making better idiots."

My mom's the same way. If a dialog box pops up, she absolutely, WILL NOT
read it, PERIOD. As a last resort she'll grab me to "help", but
otherwise, to absolve herself the burden of reading and/or thinking,
she'll look for a way to "click it away" (I have no idea where she ever
got the phrase "click it away", but if I ever find out you'll know
because I'll probably be incarcerated for manslaughter...(that's a joke
BTW, just to be clear...)). But as far as her actually *reading* a popup
dialog...nope...nuh-uh, *never* gonna happen. Stubborn ol'....*&%^@