[OT] Unity's HPC#

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 15 18:43:38 UTC 2019

On 5/15/19 9:35 AM, Margo wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 March 2019 at 09:50:17 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> So IMHO, it's much more urgent for D to try to close its gap with Go
>> and Crystal by adding a fiber-based http capabilities in the standard
>> library, that once again trying to make D become the ultimate C++
>> replacement, because to reach that goal you will need to reimplement
>> all the D standard library using C++-like reference-counted memory
>> management, which you won't, or loose it's current expressiveness and
>> ease of use, which means targeting an even smaller development niche...
>
> Unlike D, you can simply install Crystal or Go and create a high
> performance website/microservice/... within minutes.
>
> D does not work like this. There is literally no interest into a
> build-in fiber based  solution. Unless you consider vibe.d as
> "performant", when its performing at barely PHP levels. Can just as well
> use PHP at that point and get the benefit from 100.000 cheap already
> trained developers!
>
> Talking about D for web development, simply does not work as there is no
> interest here. The focus is still trying to be a C++ replacement ( and
> now C replacement ), when that boat has sailed. Rust is simply a better
> C++ replacement then D at this point. D is simply carrying too much
> baggage from all the year and this is reflected in the compiler issues
> and community attitude. Even Zig is turning into a better C replacement
> compared to D.
>
> Lots of opinions, lots of burned out people. On a lot of points, D is
> extreme stagnant and on a lot of points that people like me do not give
> a darn about, D is way too busy.
>
> The reality is i can hire people to write in Crystal easier, then
> finding people who can figure out D. The same applies to Go, where its
> simply easier to train people because of the simple language structure
> and lack of major "gotchas" unlike D.
>
> D as a language is ok but its all the issues left and right that simply
> eat time. Time is exactly what you do not have with most web development
> projects. So Ecstatic, i see very little support on this issue.

Two important things here:

1. He who hires developers that cannot learn a new language, is
incompetent at HR.

2. He who views languages as interchangeable commodities with the only
differentiating factors being existing libs and pool of existing
developers, is incompetent at software management.

> Tell us, what do you program in right now for anything HTTP related? I
> am betting Go, Crystal or PHP but not D, am i right?

Umm, no, you're not right. I use D for HTTP, and you'll find that many
people here do. And I'd literally sooner kill myself than go back to
suffering through the festering cr*pfest that is PHP. Switching to Go
would be like fighting with one hand tied behind my back. And
Crystal...I don't even know that one, but a quick search shows it's not
even 1.0 yet, making it more than a little bizarre that someone making
the arguments you're making would suggest it over D. You're not actually
interested in making a real point, you're just here to argue, right?