[spec] Ddoc generator issue?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sat May 18 08:45:03 UTC 2019

On Friday, 17 May 2019 at 15:16:49 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On Friday, 17 May 2019 at 13:57:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> On 5/17/19 8:56 AM, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>>> Still - all I want to do is work on the spec. It is very very
>>> painful.
>>
>> Well it's a large project and installation comes with some
>> decorum. It's par for the course. To work on the spec is quite
>> a hardcore thing to do, so don't get discouraged!
>>

> I am not discouraged but it is needless pain. But I understand
> the baggage.
>
>> At a point I wrote an installation script, and others
>> contributed to it and created this page:
>>
>> https://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor
>>
>> I hope you'll find it helpful.
>
> Yes I am actually using that.
>
> Regards

I am sorry, but I can't recommend using Andrei's installation
script as people seem to run in a lot of errors with it which is
because the interesting steps are automated, so you don't know
what failed. It is also outdated and while I fixed it a few
issues in it (e.g. https://github.com/dlang/tools/pull/324), I
still don't think we should recommend it to anyone. The wiki
should suggest digger if one just wants to build DMD master and
git clones for everything else.

And well yep building dlang.org is a bit tricky, it's not too
hard either if you just build the 'html' target and follow the
official instructions here:

https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md