D enters Tiobe top 20

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Nov 6 05:02:10 UTC 2019

On 11/4/2019 11:52 PM, drug wrote:
> Yeah. Also some companies try to drop the current language for Rust and then
> after some time of Rust experience switch back. Considering huge hype about Rust
> and comparing it to Go it's obviously that something is wrong with Rust adopting.
> I totally agree to Andrei about Rust and I think it is a good but niche language
> and with abnormal hype.

I'm going to speculate that Rust is a bit like pure functional programming. It's
a great paradigm, but is inconvenient for that last mile of the code one needs
to write. I've struggled with getting that last mile done with other languages
(Pascal), and it would consume an inordinate amount of time.

This is why D has "pure" functions. You can slip in and out of functional
programming as you like.

I'm working on an ownership/borrowing system for D. But the idea is it will only
be active in functions marked as @live.