D enters Tiobe top 20

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 12:07:32 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 at 11:43:30 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> I'm trying to wrap my head around that they created a language
> that cannot support simple, common and fundamental algorithms
> used for more than a half of a century. The designers of Rust
> should have known better.

Depends on what you think Rust safe-mode is. If you view it as
high level language then that is OK as it can be done as an ADT.
That means you have to create ADTs outside the safe language.

If writing such ADTs are not possible in Rust, then that would be
more of a meta-programming deficiency than a type system
deficiency (or both).

Reference counting and garbage collection are not alternatives,
in the general case... that is way too slow... There are no safe
alternatives to Rust's model, in the general case, if you want to
allow arbitrary optimizations. Although you can do it in Rusts
model with node-ids and indexes, but that is only efficient if
you know the upper bound of the number of nodes.

So, while Rust's model isn't perfect, there are no known
competitive alternative models that work for graphs on the heap
either!

It is waaay to early to judge Rust, they have not hit the end of
the road yet.  We'll have to wait and see what their
meta-programming ADT  and type-system story evolves into.