Async-await on stable Rust!

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 15:57:08 UTC 2019

On Friday, 8 November 2019 at 15:42:40 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Chapel has many things to teach most other programming
> languages about parallelism, especially on a truly
> multi-processor computer. Not least of which is partitioned
> global address space (PGAS).

Yeah, but it seems geared towards HPC scenarios and I wonder how
their model will hold up when "home computers" move towards many
cores with local memory.

I've got a feeling that some model reminiscent of actor based
languages will take over at some point. E.g. something closer to
Go and Pony, but with local memory baked in as a design premise.

Still, it is interesting that we now see pragmatic languages that
are designed with parallell computing as a premise. So we now
have at least 3 young ones that try to claim parts of this space:
Chapel, Go and Pony. And they are all quite different! Which I
can't really say about the non-concurrent languages; C++, D and
Rust are semantically much closer than Chapel, Go and Pony are.