GC buggy in windows?

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Sun Nov 10 02:40:17 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 at 15:43:45 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 November 2019 at 03:02:12 UTC, Gregor Mückl
> wrote:
>> It's not OK if the interference consists of injecting random
>> bugs into legitimate programs. Antivirus programs have a
>> pretty awful track record in this regard. I can't think of an
>> antivirus product that I used that didn't turn out to be
>> defective in one way or another.
>
> When you install antivirus on your computer, you're giving it
> control over your computer. If other programs had a way around
> that, it would be useless. You could make the argument that the
> antivirus is crappy at its job. There's nothing the D compiler
> (or a compiler for any other language) can do about it.

I'm trying to make exactly that argument: ALL antivirus software
I've ever used turned out to be crappy. They induced bugs in
legitimate, clean programs in various ways. They were somewhat
successful at stopping the occasional malicious file, but the
collateral damage is not pretty. I could list a few fun examples,
if you want.

There is a reason why first level support often tells people to
temporarily deactivate their virus scanner and try again. This
works more often than it actually should.