DIP 1025--Dynamic Arrays Only Shrink, Never Grow--Community Review Round 1

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Nov 12 17:34:11 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 at 17:09:30 UTC, Jab wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 at 12:30:42 UTC, Dukc wrote:
>> This DIP in it's current form would cause so much damage that
>> if we fall behind because we won't do it, so be it.
>
> It is going to fall behind either way. This DIP focuses on
> falling behind Rust/C++ safety with manual memory management.
> But it completely ignores falling behind on simplicity/easy of
> use/unrestricted use with other languages that have a GC. The
> focus seems to only be on Rust/C++ lately. By trying to be safe
> with manual memory management you lose what the GC offers, this
> is in part due to the fact that GC pointers and malloc pointers
> are indistinguishable. It's a clash between two different
> ideologies that don't mix well.

D will fall behind in terms of stability. The language is 20
years old. It shouldn't be breaking the thousands and thousands
of lines of code I've already written unless we're moving to D
3.0 over a period of several years. It's hard to see how the
language recovers from making a move like this with no planning
and no communication. I don't see how anyone could recommend
using D after something like this, except maybe to people you
really don't like and aren't your boss.