Language performance benchmark be updated 2019/11/09

JN 666total at wp.pl
Mon Nov 18 21:35:08 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 17 November 2019 at 21:42:37 UTC, Jon Degenhardt wrote:
> At a high level, I feel I've seen this pattern a number of
> times. When people starting with D run benchmarks as part of
> their initial experiments, they naturally start with the
> simplest and most straightforward programming approaches.
> Nothing wrong with this. It's a strength of D that quality code
> can be written quickly.

I think it signifies a deeper problem with these kind of
benchmarks. Most people would expect these benchmarks to measure
idiomatic code, "every day" kind of code. Most people would write
their code with associative arrays in this case. Sure, you can
optimize it later, but just as well you can just drop into asm {}
block and write hand optimized code.

Same with Java, you can write a lot of the code in a very C-like
way for a large speedup, but the code will be completely foreign
for most Java programmers and not very representative for the
language.