Language performance benchmark be updated 2019/11/09

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Nov 18 21:50:04 UTC 2019

On Monday, 18 November 2019 at 21:35:08 UTC, JN wrote:

> I think it signifies a deeper problem with these kind of
> benchmarks. Most people would expect these benchmarks to
> measure idiomatic code, "every day" kind of code. Most people
> would write their code with associative arrays in this case.
> Sure, you can optimize it later, but just as well you can just
> drop into asm {} block and write hand optimized code.

If you're in a position where you care about "fast as possible"
code, how fast your "every day" code runs isn't really helpful.

Now, I do understand that you might want to measure the
performance of a piece of code written when you aren't optimizing
for execution speed. Someone in that position is going to care
about speed of execution and speed of development, among other
things. The problem is that you can't learn anything useful in
that case from a benchmark that reports execution time and
nothing else.