Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Nov 19 09:28:26 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 08:51:49 UTC, Pavel Shkadzko
wrote:

> Having read about how D is a better C++

> But why are so few C++ devs actually do it remains a mystery to
> me.

Unfortunately, D is not a better C++. Most notably, it has a GC,
and much of the functionality of the standard library has
historically required using the GC. Second, it doesn't work with
legacy C++ code. That's changing, but it's a big issue.

Having said that, D has massive appeal to someone like me, who
needed to speed up my R programs but would rather change careers
than write and maintain C++. If I had a large existing C++
codebase, I would not have moved to D either.