Whats holding ~100% D GUI back?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 07:03:33 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 23:25:12 UTC, aberba wrote:
> I've seen some C++ GUI attempts getting some success with few
> people working on them.

They all look like they are cool projects, but most of them seem
to be immediate mode (low level graphics is pushed to the screen
more or less directly). So I would imagine that they are mostly
useful for simple GUIs or require more programmer effort than you
get from typical retained mode GUI framworks.

Anyway, is it really important that all the code is in D?  If so,
why not port a retained mode framework that already exists? Like
Skia/Flutter.

Keep in mind that:

1.  GUI APIs have to change constantly to stay competitive. Apple
recently changed their API to Swift UI, which is more declarative
than the previous API (like some Web UI frameworks). A rather big
change IMO.

2. OS/Hardware vendors quickly change graphics interfaces. E.g.
OpenGL is no longer a thing on Apple, so you need a separate
Metal engine.

You need a team of at least 10 skilled people that make it their
primary hobby to stay relevant. Porting seems a much more likely
option if the goal is to have something that is useful for
production.

> https://github.com/vurtun/nuklear

Appears to have D bindings, though.